Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Law of Households

While reading for my history class (which is not nearly as exciting as I'd hoped), I came across an interesting passage:
" The seven grounds for divorce of a wife by her husband are: 1) if she is childless (without a male child); 2) if she commits adultery; 3) if she disobeys her parents-in-law; 4) if she talks to much; 5) if she steals; 6) if she is jealous; 7) if she has a bad disease. In all cases the husband must write a notice of divorce which must be signed jointly by the parents and near relatives. Those who cannot write must make their mark."

Wow.

When I read that, I laughed out loud in my lab class. If she talks to much?! Seriously?!

What loons!

Anyways, I don't know if other people will find it funny, but I found it mildly amusing because of the potential commentary the passage serves on the people living during the times.

Meh, back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment